Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Dearest Son...

My dearest son,
you are two years old and as such, you are programmed to explore new areas of your abilities. There are days when it can be challenging to parent you, but those are the days that I just have to remind myself that this phase won't last forever.

I know that one day the first words out of your mouth in the morning won't be shrill, ear-piecing, shrieking demands of "stawberry yogur!"

One day, you won't throw fits in the street because I wouldn't let you get in the car when we were out to take a walk. (I'm still trying to figure out the logic there...)

Sometime soon you won't get mad at me when I can't name that one character from "Bob the Builder".

I know that one day I will look back and laugh at the thousands of times that you burst into the bathroom (note to self: fix lock), and ask to "check mom butt?". Thanks for always lookin' out for me, kid.

There will come a day when you won't do this
after I ask you to simply put the already contained ball pit balls in your room. 

One day, you won't pick up a tube of my fanciest lotion and quickly squeeze out the contents while I try to stop you with horror on my face as I stumble over the many toys you've strewn about the floor, strategically placing each one like a booby trap.

One day you won't use the carpet as a napkin to wipe the green smoothie from your face.

In the not-so-soon future I know our house won't smell like tacos after every I vacuum, reminding me of the day you decided to grab a bottle of cumin out of the pantry and dump out the fragrant spice all over the carpet, and of course the only way to clean it up was to vacuum it.

Someday soon you won't freak out every time a little peanut butter oozes out of your sandwich onto your hand.

One day you won't ask me to smell your armpits and laugh. Okay, maybe you'll keep doing that well into your teens...

I know that someday soon all of these things, and many more sweet little quirks about you, will fade away to be replaced by new attributes.

But until that day comes, there's "The Bachelor" as a guilty pleasure, and lots of chocolate to help me find my sanity.

Love,
Your Mom

2 comments :

  1. Cherish those MANY sweet little moments of toddler mania....they grow up WAY too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete