Thursday, September 3, 2015

I'm That Mom


Why is it that whenever we refer to ourselves as "that mom", we say it as if it's a bad thing?

Like when we recount a story of having to abandon the shopping cart at the grocery store, because the kids are having a hell-hath-no-fury-meltdown and it's just time to go.

Or when we get excited that a firetruck passes by, even though the kids aren't in the car.

Why do we call ourselves "that mom" because we babywear and diffuse essential oils and cosleep?

Or because our three-year-old is the last of his little friends to finally jump on the potty-training bandwagon, and we're really very okay with that?

Why do we call ourselves "that mom" because we bribe our toddler with jelly beans? Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do, am I right?

Why do we make it sound like we are anything less than what we are? We're amazing! And while we're on the subject, just who is "that mom"? She sounds pretty awesome to me. She sounds like a woman that I can relate to because she's working her hardest to be the Mom that God intended her to be.

It's just a fact, being a mom means making sacrifices. It's a sacrifice to leave that shopping cart full of groceries because those miniature people need to be trained that screaming like a banshee is not an acceptable way to behave in public. Child-training isn't easy, it takes time and sacrifice.

It's a sacrifice to drop the kids off with grandma so that we can go sit at Starbucks to enjoy an uninterrupted cup of coffee, and just people-watch. Yes, I'm calling it a sacrifice because let's be real: while it is important to have much needed child-free time, it takes effort to get ourselves dressed in something non-frumpy, get the wee ones dressed, diaper bag packed, milk pumped, car loaded with aforementioned wee ones, commute through crazy construction to grandma's house... just for one hour of self time. Sometimes it seems easier to stay home, enlist the help of TV-sitter, pop the coffee in the microwave for the thousandth time, and stay in our yoga pants.

Moms, listen up! I propose that we stop calling ourselves "that mom" with a sense of shame and we just own it. Let's stop putting ourselves down and start calling ourselves That Mom because "that mom" is doing an outstanding job of caring for her children. Let's say it loud and proud, ya'll!

If we want the Mommy Wars to stop we have to embrace our individuality and be secure in being the mom that our children need us to be. Sometimes being that mom means we'll have some crazy moments in our lives, but hey, life is supposed to be an adventure right?

I'll kick things off with some of ways that I am "that mom"...

I'm that mom because sometimes my kids and I don't get out of our pajamas because we're too busy snuggling on the couch having a movie day until an hour before daddy gets home from work.

I'm that mom that let's her kid dance to "Uptown Funk" about a thousand times before breakfast.

I'm that mom that puts amber bead teething necklaces on her babies.

I'm that mom that wanted to have natural, drug-free births; then threw in the towel and begged for the epidural.

I'm that mom that can't remember the last time she showered.

I'm that mom that negotiates the amount of jelly beans her toddler can have depending on whether he pees or poops on the potty.

I'm that mom that cries whenever her little ones reach a new milestone.

I'm that mom.

Are you that mom? Share it with pride in the comments below!

4 comments :

  1. I, too, am "that mom" and I'll shout it from the rooftop! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm that mom that just bought a minivan.
    I'm that mom that wears all the "yoga pants."
    I'm that mom that stays up too late when I should sleep because it's finally quiet in my house and my head, and then regrets it and drinks way too much coffee the next morning.
    I'm that mom too, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My list is too long. I'm that mom. And Proud. Spot on and cheers!!
    Love ya
    (I'm also Sandra not Avigdor I just don't know how to change that. ImTHAT mom that needs her older kids to show her the ropes!)

    ReplyDelete